“Blasphemy is what an old dogma screams at a new truth.” — Robert G. Ingersoll
Characterizing a professional, respected scientist as an unqualified vengeful opinion writer is the same kind of power attack as rape. It’s meant to humiliate and intimidate.
I said this as part of a response to a comment at WUWT late yesterday (copied in full below). The picture above shows Steven Amstrup holding polar bear cubs against their will — not for any scientific purpose, just for a photo that shows he can.
Also yesterday, Tom Fuller at ClimateScepticism wrote a hard-hitting critique of the Bioscience article that similarly noted the sexist nature of this harassment and the fact that this is the way Michael Mann and his colleagues behave toward female scientists who cross them or their supporters. He concludes:
“The purpose of these papers is not to communicate.
It is to excommunicate.”
As I said when this paper first came out, this response is all about my reasoned and…
View original post 697 more words
Note to readers:
- Detailed satellite measurements of glaciers and ice extent only began after 1979. We therefore only have 34 years of satellite monitoring to base detailed observations on. For historical climate perspective we have to rely on literal first-hand accounts and observations for any time before 1979.
- Is the decline of Arctic sea ice extent from the century maximum of 1979 and glacial retreat in some areas, proof of ‘man-made’ global warming? Historical records tend to disagree or show similar, if not much warmer periods and greater melt occurrence throughout our history.
- Real Science has compiled brilliant examples of ‘first-hand’ accounts and observations from press clippings when the polar regions have been in warm/warmer cycles throughout human observable history. Fascinating reading, if you’re into a climate historical perspective…
- AGW climate alarmists will scoff at this list, because they like to believe the climate started in 1976, when the planet came out it’s 1945-1976 cooling phase and began the supposed ‘anthropogenic’ warming phase, until all that warming came to a grinding halt in 1998.
Lots of comments today from people whining about man-made glacial retreat. I assume it is an organized event, so let’s just put it to bed right now.
The current Greenland warming, while not yet quite matching the temperatures of 70 years ago …..
“Examination of several proxy records (e.g., sediment cores) of sea ice indicate ice-free or near ice-free summer conditions for at least some time during the period of 15,000 to 5,000 years ago”
CLEVELAND, Feb. 16 (A.A.P.) Dr. William S. Carlson, an Arctic expert, said to-night that the Polar icecaps were melting at an astonishing and unexplained rate and were threatening to swamp seaports by raising the ocean levels.
The glaciers of Norway and Alaska are only half the size they were 50 years age. The temperature around Spitsbergen has so modified that the sailing time has lengthened…
View original post 517 more words
- ‘Frightening’ projection for Arctic melt “The Arctic Ocean could be free of ice in the summer as soon as 2010 or 2015 – something that hasn’t happened for more than a million years, according to a leading polar researcher.”
- 2013: According to Environment Canada, the Western Arctic has the 3rd highest July ice coverage in history:
Even PIOMAS is trying to un-paint themselves out of their corner, showing a 15% increase in ice volume over last year.