“The only way to get our society to truly change is to
frighten people with the possibility of a catastrophe.”
– emeritus professor Daniel Botkin
Warren Buffett on why Climate Change Alarmism means big business for his re-insurance business:
Interviewer: How has the latest rise of extreme weather events changed the calculus on Ajit Jain in reinsurance?
Warren Buffett: “The public has the impression, because there has been so much talk about climate, that the events of the last ten years have been unusual. …They haven’t. We’ve been remarkably free of hurricanes in the last five years. If you’ve been writing hurricane insurance it’s been all profit.”
Warren Buffett: “So far the effects of climate change, if any, have not affected… the insurance market. It has made no difference. I calculate the probabilities in terms of catastrophes no differently than a few years ago… that may change in ten years.”
Warren Buffett: “I love apocalyptic predictions, because … they probably do affect rates…”
Warren Buffett: “Writing US hurricane insurance has been very profitable in the last five or six years… now the rates have come down and we’re not writing much, if anything, on Hurricanes in the US at all. The biggest cat risk right now.. I think is earthquakes in New Zealand.”
H/t to Jo Nova
Barack Obama likes Climate Change Alarmism too, because “Under my plan…electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket”
EXTREME WEATHER FACTS and DATA :
No Major Atlantic Hurricane Strike For A Record 8 Years (category 3-5)
Dr Roger Pielke Jr has updated his famous hurricane drought to the start of the 2014 season. Concluding that by June 2014 it would have been a record 3,142 days or 8.6 years since the US has been hit by a Cat 3 or greater hurricane.
The last such hurricane was Wilma on October 24th, 2005.
Hurricanes are actually getting not worse, but fewer.
The US good luck with respect to hurricane landfalls — yes, good luck — continues. The graph below shows total US hurricane landfalls 1900 through 2013.
The five-year period ending 2013 has seen 2 hurricane landfalls. That is a record low since 1900. Two other five-year periods have seen 3 landfalls (years ending in 1984 and 1994). Prior to 1970 the fewest landfalls over a five-year period was 6. From 1940 to 1957, every 5-year period had more than 10 hurricane landfalls (1904-1920 was almost as active).
The red line in the graph above shows a decrease in the number of US landfalls of more than 25% since (which given variability, may just be an artifact and not reflecting a secular change). There is no evidence to support more or more intense US hurricanes. The data actually suggests much the opposite.
If you are interested in a global perspective, Ryan Maue keeps excellent data. Here is his latest graph on global ACE (accumulated cyclone energy, an overall measure of storm intensity).
To date 2013 is at 73% of the global average and the North Atlantic is at 30%. We’ll post up our updated data for global landfalls through 2013 before the end of the calendar year.
On Extreme Weather Events – Roger Pielke Jr, December 10, 2012 :
…After adjusting for patterns of development, over the long term there is no climate change signal … of increasing damage from extreme events either globally or in particular regions.
ATLANTIC hurricanes are actually getting not worse, but fewer. Grover Cleveland, who was president between 1885 and 1889, had 27 major hurricanes during his presidency. Only three major hurricanes have made landfall during Obama’s tenure thus far.
Australian Tropical Cyclones are decreasing in frequency and Intensity :
“This suggests that on average tropical cyclone frequency did not change during the past 200 years.”
2013 witnessed the slowest Tornado season on record in the United States
See also :
- Official IPCC Words : “We Do Not Know If The Climate Is Becoming More Extreme” | SREX, Pielke Jr
- MUST SEE VIDEO : Climate Changer – CO2 & The Environment – “In Defence Of Carbon Dioxide” | CNBC Squawk Box
- CNBC Host: Al Gore a ‘Charlatan,’ and a ‘Villain’ | Media Research Center
- Establishing Propaganda Is Vital For Climate Action | Climatism
- Climate Ambulance Chasing | CACA
Climatism Related :
- The Great Global Warming Climate Shift | Climatism
- 15 Questions Why Climate Change Is A Complete Hoax | Climatism
- 1974 : Climatologists Said Global Cooling And Increasing Arctic Ice Was Leading To Floods, Drought And Famine | Climatism
- Confessions of a ‘Greenpeace Dropout’ to the U.S. Senate on climate change | Climatism
- Carl Sagan Explains Why Barack Obama Tries To Silence Skeptics | Climatism
- Socialism Masquerading As Environmentalism | Climatism
- A must read: Why Secretary of State John Kerry Is Flat Wrong on Climate Change | Climatism
- Death Spiral Update : Arctic Ice Getting Thicker – Volume Increasing | Climatism
- THE TIMES : The sceptics are right. Don’t scapegoat them | Climatism