THE HEAT WAVE.
A TERRIBLE WEEK.
MELBOURNE, January 13, 1905
The heat wave in which Melbourne has sweltered for a week is not yet broken. On Monday the Observatory registered a maximum of l04.5deg. in the shade; on Tuesday 80.9; Wednesday 108.5; Thursday 105.6; and to-day 108.5 [42°C]. The city has been, so thoroughly baked that the very earth and buildings seemed to exude heat to-day, and people, especially those of advanced years and young children, felt the severe strain placed upon their powers of physical endurance. The glare of the sun about midday was almost painful, and tho gripmen employed on the tramways found the lever so hot that it was necessary to protect their hands.
During the afternoon the sky became clouded, and the heat of the sun became less intense, but there was no relief in the shade, and even after sundown, the heat was most oppressive. The thermometer at the Observatory showed at 9 o’clock this morning 98.7 [37°C] in the shade, and 141 [60°C] the sun. An hour later 101 in the shade, and 153 in the sun were recorded, and by 12 o’clock the readings had advanced to 106 in the Shade and 161 [71°C] in the sun. The shade readings at half-past 1 stood at 108.2 [42°C], and at 3 o’clock at 103.5, which was the highest for the day.
The temperature fell very, slowly. The shade reading at 6 o’clock was 101.5, and at 7 o’clock 90.8.
The Government Astronomer issued a forecast to-night that a cool change is approaching, which will give relief in the southern districts, but that there is no present indication of relief for the exhausted settlers inland, where the temperatures during the week ranged to 118 deg [48°C] in the shade.
dioxide pollution at the time was 290 parts per million.
Australian Extreme Climate History Links :
- Heat Wave In Australia : Nearly 200 Deaths From Heat Apoplexy | Climatism
- 24 More Die In Record Heatwave – Melbourne 46°C | Climatism
- February 1889 : Another Exceptionally Severe Heat Wave | Climatism
- February 10, 1893 : Victorian Bushfires Raging A Few Miles From Melbourne | Climatism
- 163 Years Ago Today : Bushfires Burn 5 Million Hectares or A Quarter Of Victoria | Climatism
- 81 Years Ago Today : Severe Global Warming Strikes West Australia | Climatism
- January 1908 : Adelaide’s Temperature Rose Above 38°C Fourteen Times | Climatism
- Shock news : Australia has always had heatwaves | Climatism
- The Worst Scientific Scandal Of Our Generation | Climatism
- BOM – Australian Climate Extremes
See also :