IPCC Officially Kills Off Catastrophic Climate FearsPosted: October 4, 2013
“We need to get some broad based support,
to capture the public’s imagination…
So we have to offer up scary scenarios,
make simplified, dramatic statements
and make little mention of any doubts…
Each of us has to decide what the right balance
is between being effective and being honest.”
– Prof. Stephen Schneider,
Stanford Professor of Climatology,
lead author of many IPCC reports
“We’ve got to ride this global warming issue.
Even if the theory of global warming is wrong,
we will be doing the right thing in terms of
economic and environmental policy.”
– Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
The IPCC is the United Nations’ body most responsible for spreading panic about global warming and the body with a strong vested interest in keeping that panic alive.
According to findings from their latest climate report AR5, no longer can eco-catastrophists and climate alarmists casually link extreme weather with man-made greenhouse gas emissions or catastrophic climate events with ‘global warming‘.
CATASTROPHIC CLIMATE EVENTS :
via Herald Sun
Andrew Bolt | Herald Sun
The latest IPPC report dials down the alarm on so many scares that the likes of Al Gore and Tim Flannery peddled:
Note the first item on the list – the scare about the shut-down of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation. This is the warming scare that inspired one of the most notorious eco-catastrophy movies:
(Thanks to reader the Original Observer.)
EXTREME WEATHER EVENTS :
I wrote the day after IPCC AR5 SPM was released in Thoughts on IPCC AR5 SPM – discussion thread:
On the plus side, contrary to ongoing claims from that alarmist media mill side there are no mentions of tornadoes and hurricanes in the extreme weather events section. They give low confidence to tropical storm activity being connected to climate change, and don’t mention mesoscale events like tornadoes and thunderstorms at all. Similarly, they give low confidence to drought and flood attribution.
They’ve only talked about heat waves and precipitation events and being connected. From Page 4 of the SPM:
This is consistent with what was reported last year in the IPCC SREX report ( IPCC Special Report on Extremes PDF)
From Chapter 4 of the SREX:
- “There is medium evidence and high agreement that long-term trends in normalized losses have not been attributed to natural or anthropogenic climate change”
- “The statement about the absence of trends in impacts attributable to natural or anthropogenic climate change holds for tropical and extra-tropical storms and tornados”
- “The absence of an attributable climate change signal in losses also holds for flood losses”
Let’s hope this lack of attribution of severe storms to “man made climate change” in AR5 finally nails the lid shut on the claims of Hurricane Sandy, tornado outbreaks, and other favorite “lets not let a good crisis go to waste” media bleatings about climate change.
Now with two IPCC reports making no connection, and with Nature’s editorial last year dashing alarmist hopes of linking extreme weather events to global warming saying:
Better models are needed before exceptional events can be reliably linked to global warming.
…we can finally call it a dead issue.
Guest essay by Marlo Lewis
Okay, they don’t do so in as many words. But in addition to being more confident than ever (despite a 16-year pause in warming and the growing mismatch between model projections and observations) that man-made climate change is real, they are also more confident nothing really bad is going to happen during the 21st Century.
The scariest parts of the “planetary emergency” narrative popularized by Al Gore and other pundits are Atlantic Ocean circulation shutdown (implausibly plunging Europe into a mini-ice age), ice sheet disintegration raising sea levels 20 feet, and runaway warming from melting frozen methane deposits.
As BishopHill and Judith Curry report on their separate blogs, IPCC now believes that in the 21st Century, Atlantic Ocean circulation collapse is “very unlikely,” ice sheet collapse is “exceptionally unlikely,” and catastrophic release of methane hydrates from melting permafrost is “very unlikely.” You can read it for yourself in Chapter 12 Table 12.4 of the IPCC’s forthcoming Fifth Assessment Report.
But these doomsday scenarios have always been way more fiction than science. For some time now, extreme weather has been the only card left in the climate alarm deck. Climate activists repeatedly assert that severe droughts, floods, and storms (Hurricane Sandy is their current poster child) are now the “new normal,” and they blame fossil fuels. Continue Reading »
State Of The Climate Report :
- US snowfall increasing this century
- Slowest US tornado season on record
- Eight years since a major US hurricane strike – longest such period since the Civil War
- 71% of the US below normal temperatures
- Record Antarctic sea ice
- Record 52% Growth In Arctic Sea Ice Since This Date Last Year
- Third highest July western Arctic sea ice coverage on record
- No statistically-significant Global Warming for 17-23 years despite 30% of all human CO² emissions, since 1751, emitted in the last 15 years.
- One of the slowest US fire seasons on record
- Earth Currently Has More Sea Ice Than 1990
- Record corn crop forecasts and world record 2013 grain harvests
- IPCC 2013 report confirms “low confidence” link between human GHG emissions andextreme weather.
- Rate of global sea level rise decelerating this century
- Ocean temps 0-700 metres flat since 2003
- NASA temp satellites show Earth has been on a cooling trend since 2002.
What more is required of mother nature to prove that humans 3% contribution to atmospheric CO2 (versus her 97%) is having no impact whatsoever on our climate? In fact, in most cases, the *opposite* is happening, to what the global warming alarmists, fear mongers, climate profiteers and complicit media have been preaching to us daily.
Related Articles :
- No steel roof required: IPCC dials back the fear of extreme weather | CACA
- Empirically Naming Climate Alarmists | CACA
- IPCC Backpedals on Extreme Weather Claims (pjmedia.com)
- IPCC Report Blames Extreme Weather on Climate Change…But Should It? (theblaze.com)
- IPCC SPM: Bye to Extreme Weather (informthepundits.wordpress.com)
- Report gives the truth about climate at last | CACA
- IPCC report: very confident our gasses weren’t so bad | Herald Sun
- Official IPCC Words : ”We Do Not Know If The Climate Is Becoming More Extreme“
Climatism Links :
- NATURE STUDY Confirms Global Warming Stopped 15 Years Ago | CACA
- Peer into the Heart of the IPCC, Find Greenpeace | CACA
- Déjà Vu : Himalayan glaciers to melt (again) by 2035! | CACA
- UN-Settled Science
- 44th Pacific “Sinking Islands” Extortion Forum | CACA
- 97% of climate models say that 97% of climate scientists are wrong | CACA
- Bureaucratic Dioxide
- Modelling Climate Alarmism
- GLOBAL WARMING THEORY – Circular reasoning at its best
- Europe’s Green Energy Basket Case Is Barack Obama’s Dream | CACA
- One Of The More Illuminating Articles You May Ever Read On Global Warming | CACA
- SHOCKING NEWS! Arctic Summers Ice-Free in a Few Days! | CACA
- Climate money: Monopoly science « JoNova | CACA